FOR THE DOUGH:
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon warm (not hot) milk
- 1 packet rapid rise yeast
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- 9 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons turbinado sugar for decoration
- Combine milk with yeast, 3 tablespoons flour, and sugar. Allow to rest until frothy and doubled in size, about 15-20 minutes. Combine yeast mixture with remaining flour, vanilla extract, egg, salt, butter, and oil. Once dough has formed knead for 4 minutes.
- Place dough in large bowl greased with 1 teaspoon oil and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to sit for 1 hour. Dough should double in size.
- Grease a 9″x13″ baking dish with remaining oil. Turn out dough into pan and press into corners to level out. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Oil the end of a wooden spoon. Make 16 holes in dough with spoon end, evenly spaced.
- Combine butter and granulated sugar in bowl. Place a spoonful of mixture over each hole. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes. Cut into squares to serve.