Oh these were a hit in the Test Kitchen! These are just like bite-sized pecan pies. Since they are small, you won’t feel guilty when you take two or three. If you can stop there…
The yummiest part of a Pecan Pie with a little kick! Camille McClendon:
I made these for Thanksgiving and several holiday parties. They were a huge hit with all. Especially, for my healthy “portion controlled” friends! They liked the fact that they could have one pie ball instead of being served one slice of pie and only eating a small portion of it. A lot of people have asked about a non-alcoholic version: try almond extract if you do not like the taste of alcohol. You can also use a rum non-alcohol flavoring. Add a little water to equal liquid amount. Vanilla wafers can be subbed for graham crackers.
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
- 2 1/2 c pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1 c graham crackers, crushed (vanilla wafers, Oreos can be subbed if you do not like graham crackers)
- 1 c brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 tsp salt (if you can not handle the sodium, don’t use it!)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 c bourbon, brandy or spiced rum. non alcoholic version: use almond extract, rum extract, or any other that may suit your taste. add a little water/juice to equal the liquid amount.
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 7 oz dark chocolate bark. If you prefer white chocolate…go for it!
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt (optional)
- Combine first four ingredients in large bowl.
- Add maple syrup, bourbon, and vanilla.
- Use your hands to make sure all the ingredients are mixed thoroughly. Almond extract can be subbed for non-alcohol version… add water to equal liquid amount. You can also try non-alcohol rum flavoring.
- Form balls by scooping a tablespoon size amount of mixture.
- Roll in hands to form balls.
- Place balls on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Place cookie sheet in the freezer for 2 hrs. Tip: After all balls are made, roll balls again with slightly water damped hands. This will make balls smooth before dipping in chocolate.
- Melt chocolate bark in a double boiler or microwave per directions on package.
- Dip frozen balls into chocolate.
- Then place on the parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Optional: Sprinkle a few grains of coarse sea salt on balls before the chocolate sets.
- These freeze well. Take out of the freezer and let sit for 15 minutes. They are also good frozen!