- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1-1/4 cups white sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (zest)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cream 3/4 cup butter or margarine with 1-1/4 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, beat 8 egg yolks until light and lemon-colored; blend into creamed mixture.
- Sift together 2-1/2 cups cake flour, 3 tsp. baking powder and 1/4 tsp. salt; resift 3 times.
- Add the sifted ingredients in thirds, alternating with 3/4 cup milk. Beat the batter thoroughly after each addition.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 teaspoon. grated lemon rind and 1 teaspoon lemon juice and beat 2 minutes.
- Bake in a greased 10-inch Bundt pan (or a large ring mold or an angel-food pan) for 1 hour, or until a straw inserted in the center comes out clean. You may also bake it in 3 greased 9-inch layer pans at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.
- If you like, frost with lemon icing (recipe below).