FOR THE DRESSING:
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 lb dried elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 carrots, finely grated
- 1/4 cup celery, finely diced
- First, make the dressing:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the half and half, mayo, grated onion, sugar, salt, and pepper. Chill until ready to use.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the macaroni. Add 5 minutes to time on package instructions – overcooking the pasta helps it absorb the dressing.
- Drain macaroni, then add back to pot. Add apple cider vinegar and stir until absorbed. Cover pot and set aside to come down to room temperature, at least 20 minutes.
- Once pasta has rested 20 minutes, add half the dressing and stir to combine. Cover again and let cool 20 minutes more.
- Add in remaining dressing, along with celery and carrots. Adjust seasoning as needed and chill until ready to use, at least 2 hours. Enjoy!