This Vegetable Soup has become one of my most popular soup recipes and for good reason! It’s healthy, it’s comforting and 1,000 times better than what you’ll get in a can! Full of flavor and so easy to make you can’t go wrong with a big warm bowl of vegetable soup.
THE BEST VEGETABLE SOUP
Not only is this soup delicious but and it’s so easy to make. It just takes some chopping and a bit of simmering until you’ve got a soup everyone will love!
This is a recipe you’ll definitely want to add to your dinner or lunch rotation. And it yields a pot full and makes great leftovers!
WHAT VEGETABLES SHOULD I ADD TO VEGETABLE SOUP?
You can put whatever vegetables you like in this soup, from seasonal fresh veggies to frozen. Here’s a list of what I used;
- green beans
- yellow onion and garlic
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 2 cups peeled and chopped carrots (about 5)
- 1 1/4 cups chopped celery (about 3)
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 3 cups peeled and 1/2-inch thick diced potatoes (from about 3 medium)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped frozen or fresh green beans
- 1 1/4 cups frozen or fresh corn
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Add onions, carrots, and celery and saute 4 minutes then add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer.
Add in broth tomatoes, potatoes, parsley, bay leaves, thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste*.
Bring to a boil, then add green beans.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until potatoes are almst fully tender, about 20 – 30 minutes.
Add corn and peas and cook 5 minutes longer. Serve warm.
*For more flavor add in more dried herbs as desired. Other good herbs to add include basil, oregano, marjoram, or Italian seasoning.