- 8 ounces fresh pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk (2% or whole)
- 2 1/2 cups frozen baby peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice off the root ends on the pearl onions and drop into boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Pinch the stem end and the peeled pearl onion will pop out. Set them aside.
- In large skillet over medium low heat melt butter. Whisk in flour and continue whisking until mixture is a light golden brown. Slowly whisk in milk and continue whisking until mixture thickens slightly; 3-4 minutes.
- Add peas and pearl onions (that were set aside). Simmer for 5-7 minutes or until the peas are tender. Salt and pepper to taste.
- This dish tastes best served right away.
- If you like your creamed peas thicker increase the butter and flour by 1 tablespoon.
- For additional flavor add a little bit of garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme leaves or even a pinch of nutmeg.
- For a change of pace add 1 cup of cooked small sliced Yukon Gold Potatoes or 1/4 cup chopped cooked crispy bacon.
- You can use canned peas but drain well and almost completely thicken the sauce before adding them as they are fully cooked and only need warming.