1 pie shell, baked
2/3 c sugar
1/3 c all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp cocoa powder
2 c whole milk
3 egg yolks. slightly beaten (reserve whites)
2 Tbsp shortening
2 Tbsp butter
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
FOR THE MERINGUE
3 reserved egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
5 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. In the top of a double boiler, combine 2/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 6 tablespoons cocoa.
2. Add 2 cups milk and mix well.
3. Stir and cook over boiling water for 10 minutes, until thickened. (Do not let pan sit in the boiling water.)
4. Remove from heat and add about 1/2 cup of the chocolate mixture to the eggs and stir well.
5. Add egg mixture back to pan and mix well.
6. Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly, until thickened.
7. Remove from heat, add shortening, butter and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
8. Cool for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then pour into baked crust placed on a cookie sheet (for ease of handling.)
9. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
10. To prepare meringue, beat egg whites until frothy (a few seconds); add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat until stiff peaks form.
11. While continuing to beat, gradually add 5 tablespoons sugar and beat to stiff peaks.
12. Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and beat to stiff peaks.
13. Spread meringue over pie and bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes, until lightly browned, turning once.
14. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1 hour, then place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours before serving.
15. Refrigerate leftovers.
16. Last Step: Don’t forget to share!