1/2 lb. lasagna noodles
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for noodles
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 lb. ground beef
1 tbsp. tomato paste
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. yellow mustard
2 15-oz. cans tomato sauce
1 16-oz. container whole milk ricotta
1 large egg
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 1/2 c. shredded Cheddar
2 1/2 c. Shredded Monterey Jack
1/3 c. chopped tomatoes, for garnish
1/4 c. chopped pickle chips, for garnish
1 green onion, chopped
Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook noodles according to package directions until al dente. Drain and toss with a bit of olive oil to prevent noodles from sticking.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add ground beef to skillet and season generously with more salt and pepper. Cook until browned, about 8 minutes, then drain the fat. Return to pan over medium heat and stir in tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard. Pour in tomato sauce, season with salt and pepper, and simmer 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Make ricotta mixture: In a medium bowl, stir together the ricotta and egg and season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Assemble lasagna: In a large baking dish, spread a thin layer of meat sauce. Top with a layer of noodles, a big spoonful of ricotta mixture, another spoonful of meat sauce, and a sprinkle of cheeses. Repeat 3 more times, ending with cheese.
- Bake until bubbly and golden, 35 minutes, then broil top if desired.
- Garnish with tomatoes, pickles, green onions, and sesame seeds. Serve.